Monday, August 27, 2007

Early to bed and early to rise

Makes a man sick and then he dies.

A saying of my mother's which I treasure.

It's been a busy day or three.
Art on the Park is more like an exhibition than a market. So it was nice to have a steady stream of people pointing, muttering and occasionally stopping to say something nice or "look at that one" or " beautiful/lovely/interesting/different". Even once or twice, buying. I have to say, it's good for the ego.
Does my ego need boosting? Well no matter. I like it to be boosted. Cash plus boosting would be even better but what the hell. The stall only cost £7 and yes, I did cover it. Oh, and a commission no less!!!! To do a smaller size of one of the big prints hung at the back of the stall as eye candy :)

Well and then I packed up and met Barney at the pub and sold some cards to the head waitress and a friend. All good stuff really :)
And on Thursday or Wednesday Barney said let's have a Barbecue for all sorts of people we don't normally invite for NYE as well as some we do normally invite. And we did that and he organised it all (while I was frantically adding cards to my stock and refusing to consider Barbecues at all) and today (that would be Monday) they nearly all (30) came and it was very nice indeed.
Now I'm a little bit knackered. And Barney said well, no more big parties till New year. Phew! Then he said well maybe just a few for 4-6 people. Hmm. this is the man who says we will only provide sausages, salad and bread and then comes home with half a pig and a pile of meat to make burgers with. And then goes out and buys enough bread for the five thousand (but no fishes thank heavens).
It's amazing how quickly 4-6 becomes 8-10 becomes 15-20 becomes 30! and I'm feeling bad about two friends who we both thought the other of us was inviting and neither of us did so I suspect we'll have to invite them and a whole partyful of others just to make sure they don't feel left out!

Today was Thursday. After last week's encouragement I felt honour bound to do the market again. But forgot that today was also the day upon which I had faithfully promised to 'fone' vodafone at 1pm. To get my new phone and sim card and everything all connected and ported and well, together.
I had some trepidation about attempting to 'fone' Vodafone while running my stall! Don't ask me why. Something to do with the non-answering habits of 'fone' people? The way you have to guess which automated number will get you the person you need to talk to? The things you might be asked which you can't remember? The (remote) possibility that lots and lots of people might choose to buy cards while I've got the phone under my ear and am trying to remember simultaneously, my birthdate, my phone number and how much is a small card.
No problem. Nicky, (jewellery stall who has a solution to every problem) blithely offered to mind the customers, a real vodafone person spoke to me before my credit or battery ran out (another pair of possibilities) and I remembered all the salient information correctly. It seems I do know my address, my postcode, my phone number and my birthdate! Vodafone person was about to tell me what to do next when we got cut off...........................

Another possibility I hadn't considered was the stress of 'fone' communication turning the air blue with foul epithets around me. Fortunately I remembered where I was just in time and kept my mouth shut. Blue steam may have come from my ears but it was silent. I think?

But it was ok. I now have a nice new mobile of my very own, with my very own phone number and it all seems to work.

My next electronic mission, should I choose etc etc is to get the Navman to navigate. I anticipate more stress and blue steam and I shall do it in the privacy of my own home so I can curse and yell at it at full volume should this prove necessary. But in the meantime it has gathered up all my address book and calendar which was the main purpose of getting it in the first place so I can save the nav stuff till I feel more relaxed.


What, I ask rhetorically, is the cat chasing behind the curtain? We have recently had a serious spider visitation. I don't much object to spiders, especially small neat ones, but I feel a bit like drawing a line when one comes spidering out from the keyboard when I sit down to check my email. I mean think of those cobwebs all amongst my precious computer!

I have to go now. I can see everyone's been too busy themselves to notice I haven't been here for a week :( and tonight I shall go round and see what you've all been up to:)
Have a lovely evening

6 comments:

At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed you hadn't blogged (I kept checking) but then I knew you were busy and OK because I saw you yesterday :)

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Just a very small grumble Thursday. Not aimed at anyone :)
After all, I haven't been checking anyone else's blog either!
xx

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-(

;-)

:-D

x

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

:)

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Mel said...

:-)

((((((((((Mig)))))))))))

A commission!
Ohhhhh....what a wonderful thing!

(I really did miss youse guys!)

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I really missed you too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home