Sunday, May 27, 2007

OK, so it's 08.11 on a Sunday morning

And everything was packed up ready to go late last night.

The rain is falling steadily but quite gently.
I've made soup and coffee and packed a dozen plastic sacks and a quantity of plastic sheeting and everything.
Can't help wondering what exactly constitutes weather bad enough to cancel the event! Because if the event had been cancelled, I could still be asleep in my warm bed.

So I am just a tiny bit peeved when a phone call comes to tell me that this is exactly the sort of weather that's bad enough and the event is cancelled. I just wish they'd got up as early as me and looked out at the rain before I got to this stage.
Oh well. Next week at Oxford Market then. I don't think they cancel that except for hurricanes and blizzards...No, don't say it! I absolutely refuse to tolerate hurricanes and blizzards in June. (Or indeed to toerate them which is what I typed first by mistake. Spell-check thought I ought to have typed 'toe-rate'. Picky! Anyway I refuse to toe-rate it either so it had better be sunny and bright.)
I was going to take a picture when I set up but fortunately decided to have a dry run at home last night so this is how it was going to look. You have to imagine the park railings behind the red blanket and a plastic sheet draped cunningly over the top (or suspended from the trees above with little bits of string and selloptape). Oh and a soggy, plastic shrouded figure, clutching a cup of soup, next to the stall)

Thing is, now I will be able to join Barney and all my other Bampton friends in a field in deepest Oxfordshire in time for the Sunday afternoon campers' BBQ on the field. Isn't that wonderful! And then I can spend a wet afternoon dodging in and out of tents and huddling damply in the pub, later. This will be at least as much fun as sitting in the rain, with my feet in a plastic bag, wondering how to stop drips from going down the back of my neck whenever the member of the public turns up to buy a card :).
Ah well. Soup and a sandwich for breakfast and a quick shower before packing up all the stuff we forgot to pack for camping and unpacking all the stuff I packed last night! Present wrapping for Youngest (her birthday always falls on a Bampton weekend so it's always a bit of a puzzle, how to celebrate it. Possibly the best ever was the time Nigel blew up 15 balloons and tied them to her tent, all secretly, so they were all there when she woke up).
I imagine that the campers are busy at this moment, frying up an enormous breakfast for er, 17 I think it was going to be this morning and dashing from tent to tent with cups of tea and coffee.

Just a few more pictures
Of Mr Drake....trapped in the lock with our boatMrs Duck and family, anxiously awaiting his escape (yes, it's alright, he did escape, though seeing as how he came into the lock riding cheekily on the front of the boat he was lucky beyond his deserts to do so)And in case you haven't heard quite enough about water.......
Hey, I just realised that now I won't have to spend all next week frantically replenishing stock. Or I can spend the week making more cards with different pictures. Got some ideas :)

See you soon. er, keep dry!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh noooooo....

*sigh*

Well, chalk it up to a good dry run....errrrr....wet run? (You know what I mean!)

Someone musta wanted you around to be a part of the festivities--so go enjoy yourself!

Daddy duckie doesn't look real thrilled, mama duckie looks a bit annoyed (tha baby duckies look like they could care less! LOL) and the water--lovely, lushious and tranquil.

The table arrangement looks great! Here's hoping for a whole lot of tasteful shoppers at the next stop which is the first stop, which will be set, hurricane or not! ;-)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh!

:-(

how disappointing. . .

still, chin up, learning curve and all that - you're a cheery sort who won't let this get in the way!

:-)

absoltuely totally adore that last photo. . . beautiful

looking for ward to hearing about the next one. . . (will keep fingers crossed for no blizzards or hurricanes!)

xx

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*anxiously awaiting the 'Oxford Market' report*

Oh, I do hope you have lovely weather and a fun time of it!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Festivities were very exciting Mel, due to tents dancing in the storm and water joining in at every level! Everybody anxiously explained to two newcomers to the Bampton experience that this was the worst weather ever.

No blizzards or hurricanes, thank you I. Well crossed those fingers :)
But rain, that's another matter!

thank you both :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home