Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rubaiyat

When I was about 12, my Dad suggested I might like to read the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam and provided me with a very small, slim, leather bound book. Illustrated. It would be untrue to say I read it (about a quarter maybe). Vast amounts of rhyming verse has never been my thing and I wasn't terribly impressed by the subject matter.
Still, the famous verse has naturally stuck in my head.

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness -
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

Well, this evening, the loaf of bread (ie dinner) remained at home but here's the wine*
and thou**
I only wrote all this because I liked the reflection of the sinking sun in the wineglass. And I had to look up the Rubaiyat in wikipedia.
The internet is a wonderful thing.
I never realised that

The moving finger writes and having writ
Moves on; nor all thy piety nor wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line
Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it

was his too.
Far out.


*albeit a very small, glass shaped flask
**or, Barney as 'thou' is known around here.

Labels: , , ,

5 comments:

At 5:13 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, but ya gotta love the fella's sneakers! ;-)

I never was too keen on the rhyming verse.
Mostly cuz I couldn't do it worth a darn.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Imitation Converses :) (a cheap version...I made him buy two pairs)

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

one of my favourite books

*sigh*

do you like The Prophet by Kahil Gibran too?

(would do wiki-link in comments with pointy brackets and an a but still haven't done that html class yet!)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ps I remember his black and white converse from the cycle ride last year! I'll be wearing mine tonight

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Now how did I guess you'd have read him :)
Yes I read some of Kahil too.

they're good shoes them :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home