Friday, April 20, 2007

Reportage and song

Bother. I've just realised that I can't in any way comment on something that is making me very cross.
Bother!

Bother!

Oh well that's that then. I'm going to sulk. Well actually I'm going to practice my fiddle. Cos I've been asked to play with some friends tomorrow at the pub and accompany them on a song I really love but have never played before..need to have some idea of how it goes before tomorrow night.
The version we are doing is taken from Kate and Anna McGarrigle and is quite utterly magical and plaintive. As most of their work is. I wish I could give you the tune.

The Swimming Song
by Loudon Wainwright III

G
This summer I went swimming
Em
THis summer I might have drowned
C D7
But I held my breath and I kicked my feet
G Em
And I moved my arms around.
D7 G
I moved my arms around.

This summer I swam in the ocean
Swam in the swimming pool
Salt in my wounds, chlorine in my eyes,
I'm a self-destructive fool,
Self-destructive fool.

This summer I did the backstroke,
And you know that thats not all.
I did the breast stroke and the butterfly,
And the old Australian crawl,
The old Australian crawl.

This summer I swam in a public place and a reservoir to boot,
At the latter I was informal,
At the former I wore my suit,
I wore my swimming suit.

This summer I did swan dives and
Jack knives for you all.
And once when you weren't looking
I did a cannonball
I did a cannonball.

This summer I went swimming
THis summer I might have drowned
But I held my breath and I kicked my feet
And I moved my arms around.
I moved my arms around.

Actually I wish I was singing it as well as playing it.

11 comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

what a lovely song

I wish I could work out the tune!

hope you enjoy playing it

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I think it's a cute song!
(dunno if that would make the artists happy....LOL....but cute isn't bad!)

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Mel said...

btw......how come you can't comment?

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

This could just possibly be a link to a site where you can hear samples!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Wow! It is.
Swimming song is on the last album, 'Kate and Anna McGarrigle'

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I forgot to say, yes thank you I, it was great fun playing and it turned out to be quite a session.
It's a gentle song Mel. I'm sure they'd love to know it's cute as well:)

(It's to do with a person's identity Mel. I hate having my lips sealed!)

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh and incidentally I, every time I do a link, I have to go to blogger help and copy the html and then substitute the bits that fit my link!
In fact I need one of Mel's sticky notes!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh it IS a cute song....AND a toe tapper!

:-)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-)

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

hope it's going well, mig

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you I for asking. All going well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home