Thursday, April 06, 2006

Two minutes

is all I have before the pinger tells me the Naan is ready.
Hmm.
Well the naan is ready but the curry hasn't reduced by half so I've got a few more minutes. Not quite sure what to do with them though.
My end of year panic at work is almost over. Tomorrow I should be able to do the last clearings up and tidyings away and then there will only be the mammoth task of filing all the old paperwork and hiding lots of back-ups in safe places so that no one will inadvertantly record over them (or ever be able to find them again).
Notice the confidence with which I said that, even though my boss has to look through the customer and supplier lists and mark the ones to be deleted, tonight.
Whatever. The plan is to get the EoY finished and then very very quickly do the End of last month (that's March) so that I can go away for Easter with an unburdened conscience and come back just in time to start panicking about the end of this month! Hmm again.

I don't think I've had time to have any provocative or profound thoughts recently but last night we went to the Pot Kiln for a meal. Greeted by youngest who said she wasn't giving us a menu as we weren't going to be allowed to order. ???
It turned out we were getting a taster menu which was great fun and all very good. Thumbs up to the new head chef. We had a lovely wine which was so good I can't remember what it was. And then it transpired that not only were we not allowed to order but the meal was compliments of the Maitre'de. (I hope she got a special deal :) What a darling!
Fact is, youngest works all the hours God sends and spends the rest of her time ferrying her daughter. She charms the pants off the customers, rules her waiting staff with a rod of iron and a good laugh (and an occasional round of chocolates with the morning coffee) and sells a phenomenal amount of expensive wine. Her red hair features in at least two media write-ups ('redhead pulling a slow pint' was one and the 'cerise haired Maitresse d'hotel' is possibly our favourite) and all this plus occasional forays into the kitchen to help out with salads or starters in emergencies comes at a really laughable salary.
Well I'm biased. But I think they ought to pay her more. Because she's looking more and more tired and seems to be working harder and losing more and more of her time off because other staff aren't there. It doesn't seem fair.

Here's a couple of bits of house that sneaked into the pictures. I like these little snips of something different from the main view.


Now I'm going to go and collapse in a heap somewhere and read.

6 comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Kata said...

The photos make me homesick...one day I'll move to England..*sigh*

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Urban Chick said...

always love your pics, mig

mmm...curry!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

But MC then you'd be homesick for the wonderful desert and the Jackrabbit ans the coyotes and kites!

Hoh ho Sherbert, she wrote them a splendid letter of resignation (yesterday) and they've offered her a chunky pay rise and an extra half day off. Iam sooo pleased with her :)

Hi Sherbert, I do miss your merry outlook on life...hope you'll be back soon :) how is it in the frozen North?

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oops...sorry UC, typing on auto! (and alcohol I think!)

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I'm glad to hear about the raise. Young and talented people often get taken advantage of!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Kyah, It's especially galling when the exploiters were young, talented (and probably exploited), themselves, not so long ago!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home