Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sad dog, frustrated vet, Spring!

The trouble with vets is, ever since Nutmeg had to be muzzled to have his toenails cut, he's took against them! He wasn't too impressed by having a towel wrapped round his head either. It's just that he doesn't want anyone playing around with his toes thank you very much and I'm awfully sorry but if you keep doing that I really will have to.. ouch.. no.. stop it.. snap!
It was even worse when he had to have stuff squirted up his nose for kennel cough!
Now he's convinced that as soon as he goes into that room with the table, he's going to be tied up in towels and muzzles and sat on by large numbers of increasingly agitated people while terrible noises happen to his toenails and evil stuff gets squirted up his nose. Topped off with a painful injection and lots of bad dreams.
So, after a bit of time spent inside the waiting room trying to wee against a particularly dilapidated and worn looking poster, preventing the weeing with stern admonitions or dashing outside in a slither of (long) toenails only to find that we didn't want to wee any more, we got our call.
Dog slithered into the surgery on his backside and then hid under the chair. When the vet tried to check his heart, he rolled over on the wrong side and tucked all his paws underneath him, buried his nose amongst them and looked up with one bleary, apologetic eye.
Vet, having read his notes, decided that taking his temperature was not an option and I don't think she got a really good feel at his tummy either. So we came away with an all-purpose antibiotic and a sample bottle for urine (don't try and take the sample using this, she said as we left..er...no, thanks, I won't!).

As if dog trouble wasn't enough, I have a tooth problem. After my filling and cleaning and polishing last week, some of the, presumably, healthy ones felt a bit, sort of squeezed. Not nice but not painful. Only they seem to be getting more, not less uncomfortable and today I bit some scotch egg and thought Ow! Oh dear!
Dentist and dog wee sampling tomorrow morning then. That'll make for an unusual start to the day.

I've been waiting for the first green of spring to start brightening in the hedgerows but it just hasn't happened yet, here. I wanted it to start this week because of the following scrap I remembered from somewhere.


The March beast howls the sky at night
but below, by day
the fallow land is greening.


Well it isn't so I borrowed from last spring!

8 comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

How old is Nutmeg?
Has it always been like this at the Vet's office?

Unfortunately, once they have the mindset that 'the vet=hell' its very hard to change it.

sending supportive vibes from one doggie person to another!! :-)

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

we think he's about 10/11ish. He was a rescue dog and they weren't too sure. I think he was ok the first time we took him to the vet but the toenails thing caused the problem and the kennel cough vac made it worse.
But he's always been hysterical about any kind of restraint, so holding him still to cut toenails made him worse!
He loves everyone but trusts no one.
anyway thanks for the vibes...we appreciate it:)

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Poor pup! What a great photo his performance would have been. Mouse (my girl Cur) does the same, except emits a banshee scream for all to enjoy as well. Hope Nutmeg is on the mend!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I should have said to the vet, can you just terrorise him with a stethoscope while I take a photo!!
He is feeling much chirpier today...either getting better by himself or from 3 doses of antibiotic!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger starbender said...

Awwww....,
the poor puppy-doggie! U can't blame him 4 not wanting all of that, I hate 2 go 2 the doc's. I'm always afraid they will find something weird. I only go when I feel like I am dying!!!
Thanx 4 all the sweet words U leave at my site. I really enjoy hearing from U.
:)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I do have a thing about spooky skies and tree sihouettes :)
Starbender, there will be a bunny for you some time soon!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Poor doogy. One of our mogs is allergic to the JOURNEY to the vets but not the actual vet. He hates his catbox, he hates the car, he hates US. But once on the vet's table he is all doe eyed and purry. With one eye on us that has a "I hope you know how much pain this is causing me and you shall regret it later.."

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh Faery, I'll never forget when we brought Mandu home from the cat rescue place, she sort of *moaned* in a horribly uncatlike way all the way home. We really wondered if she'd turned into something spooky inside the basket!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home