Thursday, November 16, 2006

I've been to London to see the Kew


It's a very nice place. It's also quite big and yesterday it was fairly damp underfoot. I saw Queen Charlotte's cottage inside and out and from the top down. It's going to look nice when Barney and partner have finished the ridge...at present it's shrouded in scaffolding and plastic mesh over the edges of which you may occasionally see a thatcher's head or a visiting official.(This is a thatcher's head)
After taking pics for the business website, I went off to explore. By the time I'd reached the main gate, via most of the glass houses and gardens in between, my feet hurt and I needed coffee, food and a map in that order. (But I got them in the reverse order) I restrained the urge to ask random people if they might possibly be a blogger looking for me (just in case I Like The View was there and there was such a person there, as it turns out, so I wasn't being totally daft).
I met a fabulous Ginko Biloba and a rather tired looking pagoda tree. Hundreds of gorgeous sycamore and acers and other things I couldn't name. The sun came and went and I also saw Tony from the 'Trees that made Britain' series which was odd because I thought I was seeing someone I knew. And did that 'Oh hello' look with the eyebrows which primates do when they meet an acquaintance before I realised that I don't actually know him at all. He is obviously accustomed and returned a 'pleasant but no you're wrong this time' sort of look. so obviously we're both primates even if we've never met.
I failed totally to get a photo of one of the ubiquitous parakeets that fly around the place shrieking like starlings but I did get one of a golden pheasant who looks just as stupid but much prettier that the kind I have to try not to run over at home on the roads.
Today I went to a funeral which was sad (though for various reasons, not least that he was 70 odd, it wasn't personally harrowing) and on the way home, detoured to see the white horse at Uffington. This is now on my list of places to go and see properly...for a start it has possibly the prettiest car park in the world. Well the prettiest I remember anyway.
Then the sun went down and I went home.

9 comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

AAAAAAAAAAAA AAArrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrggggggggggggggggg ggggggghhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

or in the words of Victor Meldrew. . .

I don't believe it

I'm such an idiot and apologise profusely

*thinks: will she ever forgive me?*

but, that aside, your pictures are fantabulous, as usual

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*nodding*

(not at the 'I'm such an idiot' remark!!)
LOVE the photos of the trees! (I'm fond of fall colours.)

Nice shot of the thatcher's head, btw. *waving at the thatcher*

What great artisans you all are!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Kata said...

White horse of Uffington? Been there! Love the photos Mig, and I agree with Mel on the thatcher's head photo..fabuloso!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Sad that we missed each other I but not totally surprising :) On the other hand woouldn't it be funny if we did actually see each other without realising :) (you weren't the person sitting in front of the back side of the Temperate House while I was dithering about whether the entrance was open or not were you?) Or the lady who'd picked up someone's film?
Never mind..not an idiot, just an optimist :) Certainly not a problem anyway.

He comes up nice on a photo doesn't he Mel :) Artisan...he'll like that:)

I wanted to take pictures of the Horse Mangey but the light was going too fast for me to get one. Next time.

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace post Mig.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

thankyou Thursday :) Hope you had a nice time on Sunday:)

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did indeed - I'm sure you did too :)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger starbender said...

Georgeous sunset! U ran into I~~~ how cool is that? I have never ran into a blogger anywhere! :"(
U have such a busy life mig. Always on the move somewhere. That is soooo great.
Thanx for stopping by.
; ]

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Always nice to visit yours Star :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home