Saturday, October 21, 2006

Escape from deepest Essex

Not that I have anything against Essex...in general. But I'm not happy in small god-forsaken towns where the neighbours can hear you breathing and catch you peeping out the door in hopes of having a quiet fag. I can't believe they're so backward they DON'T HAVE ANY PUBLIC INTERNET ACCESS (except the library which is closed for two weeks or two months depending on who you ask...it's closed so I can't ask there). And they sell corned beef pasties which cause serious food poisoning in elderly and beloved Fathers in Law! Not currently my favourite place.***
On the other hand the neighbours are ever so kind and helpful, the sun sometimes shines and my husand grew up there (without, as far as I know, ever suffering severe food poisoning...which is possibly specific to corned beef pasties anyway). So it can't be all bad.

Anyway, thank you all again for your kind thoughts and vibes...obviously successful as Dad has finally improved quite noticeably. You can almost hear him when he speaks (for some time the faint, reedy whisper was almost totally inaudible) and he's started to explain exactly how he would like his steak casserole cooked. And to make lists in the morning of the delicacies he thinks he might be able to stomach. (3 prawns, cooked in a little melted butter with a spoonful of rice...half an inch of smoked haddock fillet with a spoonful of creamed potato). And the doctor told him not to worry about his diabetic diet so half a choc ice features regularly.

So I'm back for whole weekend of R&R and Barney is ministering and maybe I won't be stuck in Braintree for more than a month. I'm afraid there's no chance to do any extensive blogging or visiting...it's very nice of you all to keep commenting in my absence and goodness, I do miss you all! I have to confess that I thought about visiting everyone tonight and then I thought but that'll take at least 2 or 3 hours. So I played with pictures instead because that would only take...er...about 2 or 3 hours :( How many hours are there between now and Sunday?

Well I'll post some pictures and who knows, tomorrow may turn out to be another day :)

I couldn't believe this...amber, growing out of a pear tree. Well resin anyway. Give it a few million years though and it would make a nice pendant. In Braintree!!!
I'm a sucker for raindrops:)
Essex girls at the bus stop.
They built to last in those days...this house must have an elasticated frame.
The sun came out and so did the butterflies.

There are still one or two Africa pics to go...hope you're not getting bored :)

This is a Gerenuk which stands on its hind legs to browse off trees...for a very long time...20 minutes or so!
And this zebra made a pretty shape for me :) Cute or what :)
David stopped so we could take pics of elephants heading into the sunset..which they did.
And more zebra's looking pretty. The nearest one has been attacked by a lion, hence the mismatched stripes.
And this was one of the most delightful sights..a family of young cheetahs. there were five and they'd temporarily mislaid their mum. Shortly after this, they all ran around playing and then found mum. Little white safari vans drove frantically round a 100 yard area of scrub and brush trying to keep up and we caught glimpses of them vanishing. All except one who got left behind. But later was seen together with the family again. Utterly charming the lot of them.

***If anyone knows of an internet cafe or other means of getting on the internet in Braintree, please let me know! Before sunday ? Pretty please? with choc ice on.

4 comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Mel said...

She's BACK--even if temporary! I'm glad to hear the dad is on the road to healing. And I'm really glad he's got loving people to be with him. Lucky him! I'm betting he's seen the photos--if not, oh, what a loss!

They're wonderful. Every single last one of them.
Thank you, thank you for sharing them with us!
Safe journey!! (drat that you'll be internet-less!)

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Goodness me - so much to look at!! The amber on the tree is amazing. As are the elephants. I can just imagine them saying "Its her with the camera gain - let's GO!" :-) Thankyou for sharing all these.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Kata said...

Visual overstimuli!! Yay!

Way too fun, all of them my pretty...give us more!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

such fantastic photos - the zebras did it for me big time, altho I could go thru them one by one and comment on each of them individually

(quite like the zebras juxstaposed with the crooked black and white house in Essex!) (or the Essex girls at the bus stop compared to the brightly coloured birds a the feeding platform!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home