Thursday, November 09, 2006

Oh what a lov-er-ly day

Well today started less than punctually so I was a bit cross with myself as I set off in the gorgeous sunshine to Oxford. And Oxford is a brilliant place to go via the Park and Ride but not so good to get into by car. Needs must though - even if it was only me driving and I am not the devil - since Frangelita needed me to be parked near the bus station. (because she had a heavy portfolio to dispose of).
Things more than merely looked up though almost at once..as after parking near where I thought the bus station ought to be I called Fran on the mobile to say where exactly is the bus station and she said don't move, I can see you, just let me get of the bus....and I turned round to see a bus drawing up beside me, literally, and Fran getting out of it! Looking like a million dollars all got up for a job interview.
Then we went to the market on the off chance that we'd be able to find The Beep at his stall! And we did, after a lot of peering surreptitiously at stall holders with antiques (and particularly with mirrors on their stalls:). It was momentarily a bit scary when we definitely identified him...chatting to next door...we hadn't warned him we were coming...he might be horrified...too busy to give us the time of day...Oh my goodness, I thought, what have we done!
Ridiculous. Just as charming and funny and likeable as his blog...more even. What a delightful man and how lovely to have met him at last:)*

After all this excitement,Fran and I had a lovely lunch, we exchanged Kenya/Thailand presents (mine is a lovely blue and turquoise, Thai silk scarf) she had an interview, I did a bit of shopping and bought a cheap SD card for my camera (hope it works) and then we met a friend of hers for coffee (originally planned to be in Blackwells....we feel that Oxford is over-endowed with Blackwells shops...there's a music shop, a bookshop and an art/poster shop...so which one has the coffee shop? The one that doesn't take cards of course. We went to Waterstones). Then Fran caught her bus and so ended a tremendous day.

So, what kind of bird do you substitute for lamps on a lamp post?

An Very Important Pigeon of course.


Coffee and sunset at Waterstones (sorry, crap picture but I had to embarrass my daughter and inconvenience several shoppers to get it so it had to be posted)

And did I mention leopards? After dinner OK?
See them now?


After chasing each other around the top of the thorn tree for a while, these two young males posed for us before turning into spotted black and yellow water and flowing down the tree trunk to run off into the savannah.
I am totally in love with leopards.

*The Beep and I have history of near but not quite achieved blog-meets! I'll definitely be back Beep. Shall I bring a coffee and a bun next time :)

10 comments:

At 2:28 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Oh Mig...those leapards are gorgeous!! *repressing urge to ask for yet another print from the famed photog..* The one of the big kitty climbing down the tree is amazing...hint hint...

The fat pigeon is hysterical by the way...

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Mel said...

That is NOT a happy looking pigeon!

But the leopards--absolutely awesome!

Sounds like a wonderful outting. And what outting would be complete without an embarassing moment with the mom?! I figure it's my duty, dontchaknow!

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha. A passed Test! Hoorah.

And as for the buns and coffee - YES YES YES YES YES!
One of the biggest problems is finding a moment to go and get such delights, and for the natural call that follows some time later, because it means leaving the stall (hush, whisper this: you never know who's listening) unattended. So how about this. You come and watch the stall and I'll buy the coffee? Is that, let me guess, a latte? With extra chocolate on top? I like an espresso: less volume to, er, lose later.

It was a delight to meet you both. Please please please come again.

We're there from 7-ish until we pack up between three and four (we have to be "off" by 5)

I'm going to look out for you every week now.

x

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You met the Beep? How good is that?! I bet Fran did look a million dollars and I hope she managed to slip in the fact that she's due to be a published author during her interview.

Ace leopards Mig - unlike Mangey, I'm going to be completely blatant - please upload them on to Flickr so I can surreptitiously download them. Thanking you.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oddly enough Mangey, I'm having a bit of a printing splurge at the moment...the printer is driving me up the wall too! Why can't I ever get the sizes right? So you may get a christmas pressie :)

The pigeon made me laugh out lod Mel...passing shoppers looked slightly embarrasssed and avoided me..so I got a really good angle!
Oh Beep, you got us mixed up. Frangelita is the one with extra chocolate...I'm a (small, or regular, as they like to call it,) skinny latte with an extra shot of espresso please :) And sugar. Youngest taught me this terminology to get the nearest thing they do to a small strong coffee with a reasonable amount of milk. Definitely I'm up for the stall minding! But not next week as I'm going to a funeral :(

Leopards will be heading flickrwards any time Thursday...have as many as you like :) Meeting the Beep was lovely...I have to say, blog-meets are the best fun. Like discovering new and delightful family!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Thursday - you know me too well!
And Beep, I had a big hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream because I had a three and a half hour bus journey to look forward to.
Mum - I wasn't embarassed, just amused.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I still had to post the crap picture fran :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I love that pigeon

and the leopards!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Me too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home