Thursday, November 09, 2006

Unpleasant - very

We have a plague.
The room which used to be eldest's, in the roof, is a beautiful room all in pale silver grey, turquoise, white and black with angles and corners and sloping ceilings in all directions.
When Eldest lived there (and it was a steaming nest of corruption and old socks and 1/2 empty cups and coke cans) it used to harbour flies. They would cluster in all the nooks and crannies and all the folds of the curtains and die occasionally and lie on the floor and bed and the tops of cupboards and shelves. Ugh!
Naturally I thought, when it was all cleaned up and fresh and nice it wouldn't attract the flies any more. Naturally, I thought the attraction was the festering, fusty gunk and moulder that belonged to eldest.
Anyway the other night I toyed with the idea of sleeping up there. Only guests get to sleep there now and occasionally eldest and his partner. So I went up with the idea of turning on the heating and shaking out the bed and checking it out. What did I find but a million flies, clustered as of old in all the places they used to cluster. When I turned on the light they rose (or fell) in a sleepy, sluggish swarm and buzzed. Some of them fell to the floor and lay upside down szzzing softly and helplessly. When I drew the curtains, they were in black seething clumps in every fold. I tell you 'Lord of the Flies' wasn't in it! I have to admit I uttered a screech and fled, vowing to return with the hoover today.
Regrettably the hoover isn't adequate (I'd need an industrial powered machine with a huge scooped extension) so I've searched the house for some fly killer. We have crawling insect spray (ants coming in through the kitchen window) but nothing for winged insects (because I dislike spraying chemical things into the air that we share with the dog and cats. And it seems slightly like bad karma to kill insects wholesale, however nasty they are). So tonight they'll be up there like some sort of beastly multiple monster....And now I'm squawking like a startled hen every time a hair tickles the back of my neck! Urrrr*#!


Here be leopards.

What do you mean you can't see them?
More tomorrow :)

5 comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Kata said...

OMG! I think flies are one of the few creatures I could really do without and swarms of them...GROSS! I lived in Amityville, NY for a bit a decade ago around the corner from the Amityville Horror house. I'd wait for the swarms of flies and ghostly figures to come about, but to no avail..

Dig the leapards!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem in the room I work in - no idea why and fortunately, they left. Leopards? Nope, sorry, can't see them!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

My skin is still crawling Mangey!
I wish mine would leave without coercion Thursday. They're quite revolting.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*blushing*
I was too busy looking for the kitties to pay attention to the bugs.

But now that I wrote about it...ewwww!!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Getting fly sparay today Mel. It'll be on my conscience but the Lord of the Flies won't be on my mind any more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home