Saturday, March 11, 2006

Testimonials

I spent several large lengths of time scanning them to put on the B&B website last night.
There are a lot of things you can do during the approx 2 minute period spent waiting for scanning to happen.
Roll a cig
Go to the loo
Boil the kettle
Make the cofee and let it brew
Make the cup of cofee and drink some
Sort out three month's bank statements
It's really boring.

It's our weekend to have GB staying and it's been quite exhausting as always. She's becoming even more bossy. "open the door then" "sit here Grandma" "I'll have a biscuit now" "it's time for a biscuit Grandma" "come here then" "I'll have toast" "I don't want toast" "Can I have your toast" "where's my toast" "shut the door then"

We are trying to explain about polite requests and wondering from whom she's acquired this increasingly cavalier attitude. Mum, Dad or the other side of the family. Or Pre-school, Nursery or Toddler group.
She's a very busy young woman.
I said I'd really like to go to the loo by myself and no I wouldn't like to keep the door open so she could peep in if she wanted so she waited outside for me (and commented often about how long I was taking). Later, she said she could go to the loo by herself thankyou and could I wait outside for her. At intervals, she asked "are you alright standing there by yourself".
A busy but thoughtful young woman.
At age three and a bit, she's learning a lot of things about adapting to different lifestyles and behaviours that many people don't learn until they're much older (like, 20-50 odd).
At some point after a veiled argument about drinks before or after finishing dinner, she fixed me with a cool, assessing gaze and said "I'd like to be friends with you, Grandma". We discussed the drink some more and she ate quite alot more dinner and then she said "are we friends now Grandma?"
I don't often use the word awesome. I never use it. But I found this simple, apallingly adult, approach to a difference of opinion, devastating and, well, awesome.

Barney and I watched a programme about being/becoming smart* today. We enjoyed it but we don't think we're very smart. (Barney scored a bit better than me because of his impressive instant arithmetic skills). We might drink some more water as this seems to be *a very good thing* for improving smartness.



I often see this view on the way to and from work. What fascinates me is that I also often drive along the road that goes through the trees at the top of the ridge.


and until I stopped to take the last photo I never even realised that this house existed.

*This is smart as in clever, not in a **sartorial way.
**though we aren't that either.

Update: I think the link works properly now.

3 comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you live in a very beautiful area.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Sherbert, my toes are quite exhausted from my having been kept on them all weekend!
Dav, it is. just a pretty pocket in between motorways and villages which are sprouting housing estates. We're very lucky.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Urban Chick said...

she sounds just like my niece of the same age

"grandad! that's not a very nice thing to do!"

"get out - i don't want to see you!"

etc.

!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home