Thursday, March 02, 2006

Once upon a time

I had four budgies. They were called Johnny, James, Celandine and you know I can never remember the other girl's name...Oh, Blondie.
So they lived in a cage in my bedroom, they made a lot of noise and though I talked to them at least twice, for at least a minute, they never learnt to say a word. They didn't much like sitting on my finger. They also never laid eggs. We had a sort of distant relationship. I fed them and they cheeped or twirped occasionally and we mostly left each other alone.
They got cleaned twice a week as a result of hurculanean struggles between me and my mum (which she won but at such a cost I think I did best out of it). There were strict injunctions laid upon me NOT TO OPEN THE CAGE DOOR AND LET THEM OUT. Except for cleaning. and feeding etc. And then only the opening of the door, not the letting out.
So I didn't.
But very early one morning, they made a terrific noise, woke me up slightly and under my bleary gaze, James and Johnny opened the cage door between them and Celandine and Blondie flew away out of the window and were never seen again.
It was one of the most exciting things I had ever seen! there was such clutching of little claws and straining of necks. Twisting with beaks and slipping of grips on the shiny bars. At least two clanging failures. I coudn't move for excitement and wonder...and disbelief! And when Celandine and Blondie flew there really was a moment of blue bird magic (only it was green and yellow). Out into the morning sun.
And the door crshing shut and James and Johnny fluttering about a bit and twittering.
So I rushed into Mum and dad's room, full of this amazing story only to be greeted with a quite different kind of disbelief. (And grouchy and sleepy disbelief at that). After they'd checked that Blondie and Celandine had indeed gone, there was disbelief and fury at my disobedience.
Did I ever mention that as well as being "lazy, selfish and thoughtless" I was truly a fairly acomplished liar? Well I was, though mainly in self defence rather than creatively. As in 'I did tidy my room but then I had to find something to go in the dolls house so I had to get everything out again'. And 'I did it yesterday, that's why you didn't see me doing it'. and 'yes I did practice Mummy', and 'yes I did all my homework before I came home'.
Right. So they didn't believe me. I could hardly blame them which pissed me off a bit. And it was true, this time, so I was full of self righteous indignation. But the worst thing was it was such a good story and they spoiled it by turning it into me being naughty and untruthful and...did I ever mention that I was disobedient?

So, a week later, I was at school and Mum was somewhere at home doing whatever she did and she heard a lot of noise coming from my room. Up she went to investigate and Hah! Away flew Johnny and James. Under her very eyes. Talk about vindication.

But the triumph was nothing to the wonder of the first great escape.
And the moral of the story is, you never know when to trust your children.



*These ,of course, are not budgies. They are blue tits, so you never know, I might get some new and interesting search terms in google...if only I knew how to find them

10 comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

My old man ahd a cocateel once. It flew out of its cage (for once, nothing to with me, I was miles away) and straight out of the dining room window. For some reason the old fella decided the best way to find it was on horse back (bets not to taks really) and ended up in hospiatl with 12" of metal in his thigh.

Have you got Statcounter? It's easy to setup. If you've got it and you don't get search terms, try reinstalling/Cut and pasting the code (delete old code first) that resolved it for me.

www.my6.statcounter.com

Can't do links in comments.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger the Beep said...

> had
> Cockateel
> best
> ask (taks)
> hospital

I have the 12" metal thing in my fat fingers

I can spell in my head. My fingers can't.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger the Beep said...

Oh, and I thnk the website is

wwww.statcounter.com.


Hey, I'm good at this malarky!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

Great story! My husband tells a story about a myna bird they had when he was a kid. I guess the thing never shut up.
One day he heard his dad sneak into the house in the middle of the night drunk, his dad bumped into the bird's cage & woke up the bird, which starting squawking loudly.
My husband, then, heard water running in the bathtub.
The next morning he went into the bathroom & there was the poor bird. He had been drowned in the bathtub.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger starbender said...

What an entertaining story about the budgies! I like birds, but I get queesy when they are flying around a room!
:)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Beep, I'm going to look at statcounter immediately. I've had it for ages I just keep forgetting to look at it!

What really annoys me about my fingers is they keep spelling 'hte' wrong! And also 'palce'. 'Remember', on the other hand can be quite exciting!

In a way, on horse back would be the best way. Escaped cockateels probably don't stick to the roads. Though I don't suppose they stick to bridlepaths either!

Lt, I bet he felt dreadful. I certainly did when it was explained to me that the budgies would almost certainly get pecked to death by wild birds if they didn't get eaten by owls first. So I don't suppose the poor little b..irds enjoyed their freedom much.

Starbender, the thing about birds is flying isn't the only thing they do naturally and there are some things you don't want done naturally in your rooms! So These days I prefer them to stay outdoors where they belong:)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me, deleting my comment. I said 'great story Mig' then I tried to explain to the beep how to make a link in a post. Didn't work :-)

Its easy once you get the hang of it. I'm going to send you to a blogger help article that tells how here.

the first item in the article tell how but the way its laid out on the page its hard to see where to start. You'll get it, I have every confidence in you :-)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

Presents! Ooooh, how exciting. I just love presents me. Thanks Kyahgirl.

So if I understand it right, this should link to something: a Beep post
But from here it looks like a right old mess!
I think your kind confidence may be misplaced!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

Hey! How 'bout dat? It worked.

Thanks Kyah!
Oh and thanks Mig for allowing us to hijack your blog for educational purposes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home