Friday, November 25, 2005

we went to the steam fair


This ride looks like a pussy cat from the ground. Noisy, colourful, but not at all dangerous. The signs saying don't go on this ride if you have a nervous disposition or a weak heart are obviously a bit of quaint Victoriana, designed to add to the thrill. Perhaps even to create a bit of thrill.
I tell you I haven't been so scared since...I'm not sure when, possibly since crossing the Rhine in a glass (all over, top sides and bottom) cable car in a thunder (and lightening) storm with a toddler in push chair and a cheerful Barney.
I was lightheartedly amused when my friend said since it's a genuine old steam fair they don't do health and safety. If you let go you fall out. then we got in, and obediently hooked our arms round the back of the seats and I tell you, this thing goes vertical...No problem when you're on your back looking at the sky. Big problem when you're hanging by your arms on the back of the seat looking at the ground. Very fast and you know at the top of a really good swing, your bum just lifts off the seat a bit? this thing, your body lifts and so do your feet!!! Nothing between you and death but arms trying to weld you to the back of the seat.
they should have a sign saying don't go on this ride unless you are a gymnast or a strong man.

Suddenly the signs about weak hearts made a lot of sense....I worried about my heart all the way up each swing and all the way down again. I took deep not calming breaths. Then I did huffing like they used to teach you to do in childbirth (this was actually involantary).
Ooof! just thinking about it makes my little heart thump.
I think it was fun...?

1 comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Arrrgh! Just looking at this makes me feel sick! You're a brave girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home