Monday, May 12, 2008

The Sun Also Rises

I never could get into Scot Fitzgerald but he certainly did a good line in novel titles. So although I've never read the book, the above title came into my head the other morning and stuck. Suspecting that anyone more literate than me (I'm a dyed in the wool sci fi and fantasy addict though I'll read almost any type that passes before my eyes, quite indiscriminately - words are so clever, beautiful, wound through the fabric of human awareness, how can you not) would know what it meant and wonder how on earth it could apply to my pleasant, meandering and generally quite mundane blog. So I looked it up and discovered its provenance. Much too literary and intellectual for me but good old Wikipedia provided me with the following quote* which I'm happy to adopt. This is one of the themes of my life and experience.

"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever."

And what it's all about is simply that Saturday night I didn't do any sleeping to mention. Having abandoned poor old snoring bear (at 3am) I settled down in the spare (/Fran's/Grandad's/Gorgeous Babe's) room and bounced up and down for the rest of the night, enjoying the balmy night air, the peace and soft night sounds, then grumbling about how this was going to make me feel next day and then peering into the dark and seeing mist, gathering across the fields and promising gorgeous sights in the morning, wandering around on tiptoe (metaphoric tip-toe since flat-footed and yawing** slightly to the left, is the only way I can get around at the moment) to make tea, collect camera, tidy the table, read, stop reading, arrange things on the bedside thingie...you know, all the daft, trivial things you do when sleep eludes you.
So the dawn chorus awoke me from a fitful doze (that's good literary stuff isn't it :)***and the camera was to hand and Yay! The sun also rose :) I only took about 197 pictures. But it's going to be awfully hard to throw any away!







I'm sorry there are such a lot, but at least they're all of pretty much the same thing :)


Otherwise, we had friends round to be BBQ'ed yesterday and John was so, so funny. Had the best laugh I've had for ages (fortunately he doesn't mind being the centre of affectionate amusement over his tractor collection and his opinions on the price of mars bars and how things were in the colonial days in Kenya -such a darling). And everyone did all the work, since Barney made an unscheduled pub stop (to collect more lemons - really) and I was veering quite a lot :) Oh well all right, some of the blokes spent some of the time sitting in the garden, providing a centre to which to bring things. Very important task that :) As long as there's at least one person by the table waiting with a drink and a meditative expression, all's well with the world I think.
Oh and between us, we made Lemon (Orange, Lime) Sherbet. This was my thoughtful contribution to the non-alcohol drinkers among us. Mostly me! Huh! not that I'm bitter and twisted about it or anything or that I whinged at all that I didn't get to try the delicious looking wine Scarlett and Joe Brown brought - thinking this would be a nice treat for me to share. Oh no :{
Anyway the sherbet was very nice. And good for me. (The juice of 3 lemons and 1 lime: a couple of desert spoons of caster sugar: two pinches of salt: top up with water and ice and adjust salt and sugar to taste: orange juice optional. Good vitamin C laden stuff).

Oh my Goodness! Isn't the sun absolutely wonderful!
Wishing you green and growing loveliness wherever you are.



*which I shall now look up ~ Ecclesiastes. 1: 4
**yachting term I think, implying a tendency to veer without warning. I have that!
***You know it's really true about cock crow - they do it, all over the view, just before dawn!

9 comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Betty F said...

Oh what a beautiful Sunrise. Sounds like Yesterday was a fun day. Hope you're walking better soon.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Sorrow said...

You can post as many as you like!( i'll sit through 197!)
:)
just sitting in the sunshine of your amazing gift!
Hoping your feeling better and not to tired from your restless night.
I prescribe, naps..
dogs do it bees do it,even...oh bother i can't remember the rest of the lyrics...
((HUG))
earths constant...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thanks Betty for all your sweet comments and visiting :)

Naps is a very good idea Sorrow :) Thank you :)
((Sorrow))

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ohhhhhhhh......197 is a good number....and I (like sorrow) can wade through 'em all.... :-)

I wanna tell you how gorgeous they are, but words seem too small at the moment.
Isn't it amazing how huge the view is and how small the words are to describe it.

*happy sigh*

<--- likes sherbet
(on rare occasion)

Homemade sounds yummy!

Sleep, silly woman...sometime soon!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger overnighteditor said...

I watched that same sun set. Yes it was beautiful, thanks for showing us the first half.
OE.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I think it was the hugeness of views and the smallness of words that drove me to photos Mel :)
It's ok, the sleep thing is settling down now a bit :)
((((Mel)))

Thank you OE, and how nice of you to drop in:) Isn't it fun when you see another view of the things you saw :)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

could have sworn I'd left a comment here

buggering blogger ('xcuse my French)

BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS

is probably what it said

or something about the photos and the colours and the sunsets being divine (and almost the colour of one of the walls in the new abode!!!!!)

x

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(sun rises)(obviously!)(what with all those cocks crowing. . .)

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ooh the new abode! Sunrise coloured walls!
I've been having the blogger buggering thing big time. (since we're using French)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home