Thursday, July 20, 2006

Towels, wet towels and little fans

Tonight I have agreed to go to a concert (featuring a Covent Garden busking band called Grafiti Classic, so probably very good). Last communication from the friend who invited me said, bring a fan, it's very hot in there. Ah! Very hot. As in even hotter than if you lie down on a cold stone floor in the shade with cold compresses on your head? Hmm.

Well yesterday, as I wandered around the house gasping gently, I noticed that the air which was coming in through the back door was actually warmer than the warm air not going anywhere inside the house. Also I felt sorry for the hot dog (hairy one, not one in a roll with onions). So first I soaked a towel with water and then I draped it over the dog. He obviously thought I was torturing him by trying out a new game when all he wanted to do was pant (yes, preferably in the hottest sun he could find) So after chasing him round the dining room (in order to retrieve the trailing towel) and playing a fruitless game of sit...
no here on the nice cool towel, no don't roll over in the other direction, now lie down, no the other way, oh get up, no lie down...
I reconsidered the hot air still blowing gently through the back door. After deep thought I fixed the towel across the door. On the principle that the hot air would encounter the wet towel and be cooled before entering.
?
Very hard to tell. If I hadn't done it, it might have got even hotter, right?
!
Oddly enough, other ways of utilising a wet towel didn't occur to me till today.
When I blissfully wandered around with one draped across my shoulders and even had the forethought to take it shopping with me...only I had to leave it in the car when I actually shopped as I felt that possibly I might attract the attention of men in white coats if I were to walk along the High Street, dripping. No one else seemed to be doing it either. And I did rather want to put it on top of my head but it might have got in the way driving and caused an accident and somehow I don't think "it was the towel on my head what caused me to run you over mr Policeman" would go down very well.
Then Barney came home and said, "Oh you must have been listening to radio4...that's what they were advising people to do".
No dammit, I thought of it all by myself (even if it did take me 2 days to get it together).
But I bet no one else has thought of this one yet. A wet towelling bathrobe...with a hood. I'd better get to Peacocks as fast as I can and buy one before anyone else thinks of this marvellous idea and they're all sold out.
My problem is, can I take a wet towel to the concert tonight. It's ridiculous but none of my towels really look like shawls or elegant drapey things for concert goers. O well probably I can't wear a wet towel. It'd better be good.
The moon is currently being evasive..I think it's waiting till I've gone to bed before coming out. This is one I prepared earlier :)

And here are yet more rooks.

Graffiti Clasics were very, very good. Slapstick comedy and flawless musicianship. Virtuoso fiddle and double bass playing, gorgeous viola, lovely singing, huge range of material. Two stunningly pretty girls, one hot Rumanian and one hysterically funny Irishman. Fabulous.

*just thought I'd mention this interesting thing. I went swinmming as well as shopping and where the cool wet towel had been on my back and shoulders, the swimming pool water felt hot! See? Interesting.

7 comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Queenie said...

I remember as a child laying down on the slab of stone ouside our front door to cool down. And the smell of moss growing in the garden.
Concerts are the best fun.

Q

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Poooooor puppy! And poor everyone to get to endure the heat you've been having. Yikes!

But ya know...Concerts ARE great fun. I'm glad you enjoyed yours.
The one in our 'back yard' (okay, it's 1/2 a city block away at the fairgrounds) attracted some 9,000 people this evening.
Please keep in mind this is over three times the towns population!
The whole town is nuts with people, lemme tell ya.....geeze!

Oh! And the towel robe idea--brilliant!
Charge royalties for the idea before the radio station snags it!

Keep cool, Mig!

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I walked round my local Co-op with a bag of frozen peas clamped to my forehead a couple of days ago. It was wondrous. I think I may be one of the weirdos that Surly sees in Asda.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it, Mig. Wear the damp towel and maybe others would too then!

Thinks.. damp muslin shawls (cheesecloth?) or maybe go Indian and wear a sari - they look so comfortable and cooly wafty.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ooh! nice moon and very nice rooks!!

I went to India once, many years ago, and walked around with an damp indian shawly thing draped loosely over my head (think it was cheesecloth, much like Anonymous' idea) and it was very cool and protected me from the sun too

think you're onto a good idea here mig!

how about using the spray thing that you spray things with (you know, like the ironing, or the pests on your plants) to spray yourself with too (only make sure it has fresh water in it and doesn't have manky old ironing water or pesticide in it)

or do what my kids do - tip a bottle of water over yourself at regular intervals

and as for the men in white coats? they are probably too hot and bothered to be worrying about you! (mind you, you never know, might be cooler still in a high ceilinged white washed cell. . .)

did I say lovely moon and rooks? that was what I meant to say, instead of warbling on about the other stuff!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Hi Queenie. I used to lie on the grass and smell it and get told off because it might be damp! Oh yes please!

We do fuss about the heat Mel, as if it was so extreme but it's only because we're not used to it lasting more than a couple of days. Hope you enjoyed your concert too :)

Thursday, frozen peas are possibly the most useful vegetable known to man, woman or child! For sprains, bruises, headaches, heat...the list probably goes on? Anyone?
Oh and eating hot or cold and throwing/flicking at people.

Anonymous, have you ever tried to wear a sari? I have. Unless you're a skilled applier of saris you're likely to end up in a hot little scrambled knot on the floor. Stranded beetles and waterlogged sheep come to mind! Of course maybe you are a skilled sari wearer! Damp cheesecloth now. that sounds like a really good idea...suitable for concerts or home or even the street!
Right, off tomorrow to look for cheesecloth.

Warble as much as you like, I :) Now where's my list, bathrobe, cheesecloth, pest spray, white men in coats...Oh no, cool white rooms...

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

can I just add that my favourite salad is frozen peas (cooked and cooled); frozen (or fresh) broad beens (cooked and cooled); in a really lemony vinaigarette (can't work out how to spell that) dressing with lots of lemon and olive oil and salt and freshly grated black pepper and a little sugar and some more lemon; and a generous handfull of sliced spring onions

never fails

oh and you can add fresh chopped mint, or coriander, or parsely (depending on your tastes) (or lemon zest if you have the proper zesting thing in one of your newly cleaned drawers. . . you did clean the drawers after you cleaned the cupbaords, didnt you?

;-)

(just thought you might like the thought of some easy salad for when your guests descend)

(not that you need my help with salads)

(but if you do, try grated carrot, grated radish, pine nuts and sultanas or raisins, lots of olive oil and lots more lemon juice, salt, freshly grated black pepper and a little sugar, and let the pine nuts and the sultanas/raisins soak in the lemon juice/olive oil)

(I've gotta go now)(you'll be pleased to know)(on my hols)(so really go, which is why I've left you such a long comment as it's got to last for three weeks till I'm back! have a good summer - Ive left you something to do on ILTV if you're bored once the family have gone and you've cleaned up again. . . and if photoblogger starts cooperating it'll be quite good fun)

enjoy your party!

(there, see, that's what you get for telling me I can warble!!!!!)

:-)

you post lovely stuff on your blog too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home