Friday, April 21, 2006

Light Music and Heavy Stuff

Actually just one or five of the band. I love the reflections in the brass/silver.


Did he play a wrong note? Or is she trying to work out what she should be doing by watching him?

And I'd love to know what these two are saying to each other.

The thing about these chaps is they are most definitely not poncey middle class revivalists. Solid, chunky, working class blokes have been doing this every Easter since some time around the 18th/19th century when (possibly) some Moorish miners (?) left the dying Cornish mining industry and joined the burgeoning Lancashire mining industry. Presumably the Moors arrived in Cornwall as slaves.

Well that's enough of slightly ancient British traditions. I've had a shock today and I'm still not sure whether it's serious or not. (well actually I think it is but we'll see how well I bounce in the next week or so).
I've spent the last two years at work, wrestling my boss's accounts into a form which will fit the mighty Sage accounting programme. This hasn't been easy because Sage isn't really a walk in and try a few buttons sort of programme. And there were things in my boss's accounts and paperwork which aren't dreamt of in Sage's philosophy.
Whatever. We couldn't make sense of the end of year figures (and I'm pretty sure this is because of an unsorted confusion from last year) and boss has finally decided he needs someone who can really understand sage and can also hand him something he understands at the end of each month. Not me!
Frankly, I'm gutted. I enjoyed the job because I'm good at the book-keeping part and the irony is that I really have got that part of it turning over quite neatly. It's just what happens to my nice tidy figures inside the programme that defeats me. And I'm going to make a sneaky prediction here, that whoever takes over will have a hell of a time getting used to boss's paperwork and will have an even worse time sorting out whatever is going on inside sage, between the chart of accounts and the end of month/year reports.
I can't blame him. And soddit, buggrit and dammit all to hell, I can't really be pissed off with him either because I can see his problem perfectly. And I'm fond of him, we've been friends for a long time. And it's as much my fault as his, that we didn't discuss this earlier.

So I'm not feeing like posting serene reflections and pastel posies. No problem. I can make pictures to share my filthy mood with you.





Well, I feel slightly better for that!

8 comments:

At 2:13 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Whoa...sorry to here of that my pet. That revs up all the squashed memoirs of bosses doing shite like that to me in the past..bastards!

Love what you did with the last photo!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

oh Mig, that's rotten of him. Why doen;t he just send you on a Sage course. I know you say it's not a 'press buttons' sort of programme, but, actually, it isn't that complicated (I use it for heaven's sake), and a day of one-on-one training would get you up to speed and be cheaper for P than hiring someone new (and unknown).
Anyway, I admire your determination not to be angry: not many woulg manage that I suspect.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

doesn't

would

etc...sausage fingers (and no coffee yet)

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Poor you. There's a job at my place if you ever relocate.
Smashing pictures as ever.
Snap Mangey - I like the last one too!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

I'm sorry, it must be really hard and put a real strain on your friendship. Maybe it would be better to work with someone who you're not emotionally involved with.

I think you're an asset, though, maybe a Sage course would have helped.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

You're all very kind and supportive and thanks a lot for that.
He's not really being unfair. What he really wants is a sort of business manager. And it isn't the kind of business that could support one of those and a book-keeper too. (And I really don't have the head for that. I suspect that he won't find what he's looking for though.
I do have a thing or two to say to him though and thinking about your comments has cleared up my ideas a bit. So thanks all, again :)

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

Oh! the celebration has something to do with mining, that's why the blackened faces.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Or maybe the original Moorish dancers were black so the locals blacked their faces so they could do the dances properly? Most of these old dances had to do with propitiating gods to encourage fertility on the land...I imagine the Moors felt that their gods wouldn't be impressed by odd looking white blokes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home