Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Totally unsynchronicitous

No, I don't know what it means but synchronicity was a buzz word a few years ago and I always liked the sound of it.
I had one of those weird moments this evening, eating a truly delicious dinner (cooked by Barney, always the best).
While on the TV, forests were burning down in Borneo and Orang Utans were being, orphaned, beaten up, sold into slavery (roughly speaking) and having their limbs cut off. All in the name of palm oil planting, with an obvious likelihood of rare hard woods' acquisition being the true motive for this brutality and destruction.
I am a naturally dispassionate person. I continued to enjoy the meal (it really was almost perfect). The images of acres - no, miles, hundreds of miles - of blackened trees in a soft haze of smoke and the sad world weary eyes of maimed and abandoned apes did stuff to my eyes while my mouth and stomach cheerfully carried on.
It was the mothers that were being beaten up, hands and feet cut off, buried alive. So their babies could be stolen and shipped abroad...what? to zoos? I missed that bit.
It was the bit about the mothers being beaten up...I can follow the brutal logic of cutting off the hands that clung to babies. but beaten up?
Er, some of this happened in Indonesia.
Oh and the point of all this? Well they're growing palm oil trees as the new economic saviour crop. They've cleared a lot of forest already. But they're not using that space, they're applying for permission to open up new areas. Many of the burnt out areas are just being left unplanted. Naturally there's plenty of profit being made in the sale of rare hardwoods from each newly cleared area. And I suppose the export of orang utan babies is a local sideline, a bit of a sweetener for the blokes on the ground.

Oh well, every so often the sheer craziness of the way the human race behaves hits me from the side and I do briefly wonder at us.
And now I've been reading about bird flu. shit!

More of last year's pics. I was going to say I need a break from real life...but this was real life too. See!

5 comments:

At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bottom pic. Those clouds are pretty.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These get me everytime (even though I didn't see this particular one, what with no tv an all, it's telling that I can picture totally clearly exactly what you are talking about having seen it so many times before) - 101 ways to destroy anything precious! - if only it was just the 101

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I love that top picture. Beautiful!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Indeed v sad. But no reason your tummy should not enjoy yumminess. Like the Dad pic, btw

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

If only people could understand how precious. And how much they personally need those trees to stay standing (even if they don't care about the apes).
Oh well.
I treasure my own trees (and clouds :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home