Thursday, December 08, 2005

Extremely Bad Words *insert name and address here*

I don't usually do this from work but Hah! the computer broke.
No problem, we borrowed another one and I got on with it while waiting for Support Eddy to phone back and talk me through repairs/re-setup.
Eddy didn't so I backed up and re-arranged all the cables and stuff in readiness for his call and chased him up and finally he rang.
But then it transpired the thing wasn't quite connected up enough. Where has the power cable gone????
Ok, I find it (downstairs in the workshop...Why?) and phone Eddy back. He's on the phone. No doubt talking another helpless user through disaster.
So I can't enter anything new, I can't even check up paper work. I am wasting my time here! This happens often enough in small doses but I've spent a WHOLE AFTERNOON wasting it.

Highlights of the rest of the afternoon.
1. the computer didn't do what Eddy expected it to do.
2. We didn't always understand each other (me, Eddy or the computer).
3. The computer didn't do the next thing Eddy expected
4. Eddy thought we had bought a programme from somewhere else and were using his free support services to get it going again.
5. Eddy promised to send us an invoice for this phone call.
6. I spent several muffled minutes trying to read a serial number on top of the CPU, underneath the desk with my head sideways, and then sat on my glasses. (No, due to the cramped and crowded nature of the office it wasn't possible to move the CPU without disconnecting at least one vital part. In fact it wasn't easy to move me without disconnecting something fairly vital!)
7. the glasses survived.
8. The serial number was wrong so Markus had to come and read it for me. (His eyesight is fine)
8. Eddy realised we weren't working on a programme bought from a rival. He didn't, however, promise not to invoice us after all.
9. Phil popped in to say he had to go now. I said Aaargh!
10.Windows reappeared and gave me a happy commentary on it's many features while it finally did most of the things Eddy thought it ought to have been doing from the start. This took a long time.

Sometimes I think violins don't go with money and computers.

2 comments:

At 12:50 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ah. I do back up. but I can never remember what I called the back up.
Likewise the very useful info about my IP umm..S? Oh no, ISP.
I know it's all there somewhere.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Pickle said...

Many many moons ago I spent 5 hours on a telephone line to a support line, as a company had sold me a duff computer. Needless to say. As the technician said that I needed to reboot my computer several times he suugested that I remain on the line as calling through again would be near impossible. We both agreed to a coffee break and come back to the phone later on! Thankfully the phonecall was all at the expense of the computer firm..PHEW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home