Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Generations

One of the things I am often sad about is that my Mum never saw any of her grandchildren. She died aged 50 on April fool's day (which would have made her laugh) of some sort of combination of drink, smoking, sleeping pills, tranquilisers and a broken heart.
But she would have loved the children.
She fought depression and guilt and oppression all her life and did it bravely.
She was irreverant and funny and clever and kind. People loved her.
After my son was born I remember one afternoon having the strangest sense that she was looking over my shoulder at him or that I was in her mind for just a moment. I forgave her everything, unconditionally, right then. (even the best mothers make loads of cock-ups and nobody with children can be a saint!)
I think the best thing she taught me was never to judge. You just don't know enough.
Her birthday was round about now...it's a good enough excuse to raise a glass of wine (she actually preferred guiness but what the hell) and post a picture.
This is Mum, me, my daughter Ruth and her daughter Summer.Miss you Mum.

2 comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Hello, eldest daughter here! I love your blog. Although I think blog is a v silly word. I too now have a blog called Frangelita (I think you should be able to find it. I don't know how to put pictures on it yet or to link but I shall endeavour to link to you when I know how. It only has one post - spent ages trying to think what to say in about me and all that nonsense. Will probably change repeatedly. Or forget altogether. Speak soon xx

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry! My family is very into family, generations and geneology. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home