Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A man at a dinner party once said

"women always dress up to please other women" and another one said "no they do it to send messages to men" and another one said "Oh they do it to announce their status". They all sounded quite amused about the antics of the little women. And somehow aggrieved.
Every so often I wonder about this. I've given up trying to please man, if I want to communicate with them I generally do it by word or gesture and if I want to please other women I listen to them or say how nice their clothes (etc, etc) are or try and help them out..or something.
Why do I spend so much time on my clothes.
And incidentally always end up looking like I got tipped out of my bag along with all the other junk.
It's all right, I realised eventually, the message I'm sending is "watch out here comes a complete nutcase who can't be bothered to dress to please men or send messages and hasn't any status worth announcing. But she does like colours and textures and sparkly things"
I'm a magpie. Or a jay. possibly a blue tit. Whatever. something small, tubby, brightly coloured and flappy and fluffy and sparkly which falls over itself a lot but (in case you were wondering) can reverse a car into most parking spaces without hitting anything. (well it's so much easier to reverse in than out).
and today I'm wearing pink and fluffy black with a huge pink silk scarf. and pink and white glass earrings.
I'll do shoes and bags another day. I have to go and get fluff out of my mouth now. What is it with that fluffy wool?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home