Monday, November 07, 2005

Off to the Wild North Country

Yay! I'm off to Lancaster this weekend visiting son and collecting a mini mac for my half sister who writes novels (currently on what looks like carbon paper)
She needs a computer. and instruction.
All this will be fun and also it will be so great to go back to the North again.
I love those stone cities set in green-grey fells and crags and the nestling gnarled woods and rocky rivers.
And the skies.
The air is fresh up there (I must remember to take extra woollies).
Lancaster, Manchester and Wilmslow, here I come.
This is Bacup, where my Dad was born..over a hundred years ago. No really, I was the child of his second marriage. He was fifty when I was born.
Barney and I went to watch the Britannia coconut dancers, just up the hill from Bacup. This was the only time I really wished I had a camera phone thing because I so wanted to send some one, any one , a picture of them.
See what I mean?
They do this all up and down and round the village, every May bank holiday. those clogs make a fantastic clattering noise and they have a silver band marching around with them and little wooden hand clacking things. They are truly out of another world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home