Monday, July 07, 2008

The wanderer returned

With no less than 133 photos!
And I notice (gleefully) that quite a few of them are of the 'I didn't quite get that right do it again' kind (this is something I get mocked for on a regular basis :).
I shall post some iconic steam engine photos.


Sir Nigel Gresley who pulled them from London to York (also above)
The Union of South Africa who pulled them out of York but broke down and had to be replaced by a diesel engineBittern who pulled them somewhere else but I get confused. Apparently it's doing a three point turn in order to get in front of the coaches facing the right way. Well you can see those aerodynamic lines like this :)

And all four of the A4 class engines, including Mallard, who holds the world steam locomotive speed record of 126 mph (achieved on July 3rd, 1938).
It was pouring with rain when Barney took this so I'm pretty impressed with the results.
You know? I believe Barney and his Bro had a really good time :)That's bro, looking out of the next window.
G'night :)

7 comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, we were soooooo excited!!!! I hollered for himself to come look and he (very appropriately) "WOW"-ed himself happy.

Quite the deal to have all four of them together in the same place, he says. And he very much appreciates the photos. (though he tells me it' Sir Nigel Gresley--so consider yourself educated as well as I am now!)

AWESOME photos--Barney done GOOD! (whaddaya mean only 133 photos?! LOL)
Don't make me pick a favorite cuz they're all just too cool!!!!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oops! My thanks to himself for putting me right! (Before Barney finds out I got it wrong too :)
The trip and the photo shoot of the four trains together was organised for the 70th anniversary of Mallard's record breaking run and it is indeed a very big deal!
Barney is now wondering if we might go on a repeat trip next year and I must say, having seen his pics and had the phone updates I'm quite tempted :)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Betty F said...

That looks like so much fun; I'm glad Barney got home safe and sound and with so many photos to share.

 
At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some day, I want to go on a fancy train journey.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

how much fun must that have been. . . in the last house but four we lived on the railway line and the OE used to go past regularly on it's way from Waterloo to Ascot (just for an afternoon out, with tea and scones I believe)

sometimes it was pulled by "a proper old steam train" (apologies, that's the only way I can describe it) and we'd hear it coming from miles off because of the noise of the wheels, the engine and the tooting and I'd take the children to the front of the house so they could watch it puff past in clouds of steam

every childhood ought to have moments like that, and every adulthood should have the occasional moment when we can re-live our childhood. . .

(now thinking of Jenny Agutter and red bloomers!)

XXX

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh!
Blogger is BAD!
I thought I'd been here and look! Nothing.
Well, All I can say now is, thanks Bett, I think I would too 'shot and indeed everyone should I.
(and also thinking of JA and red bloomers :)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home