Monday, February 18, 2008

chasing the tail of the day

I've been chasing sunsets and catching early mornings :)
Following a wonderful dinner that Barney made when Thursday and Joe Brown came, we were talking about the possibility of getting up the next morning to catch the sort of shots that Joe Brown regularly takes in the misty predawn light. And we agreed that probably, Sunday morning wouldn't be the day we did get up early - what with it being nearly midnight and all at the time.
But amazingly I did get up and spent a happy morning with frozen toes and fingers, and warm bits where the sun did shine. (Not predawn alas, that would have been overdoing things a bit)
Then during the last few days, I've been watching glorious sunsets and not getting photos of them because they kept happening when I was already about to be late for this and that. Finally, today, I organised myself to be in a good sunset watching place and took some quite nice pics.
Then I went home and half an hour later as I was rushing around getting dogs and cats and Barney' dinner s together, I noticed that, far from fading away, the evening light was getting more and more and more - well, more!
Tonight's sky was probably the most spectacular it's been all week and 3/4 of an hour after sunset was officially over.
You just can't win them all!
There's a photography site I visit sometimes where you get useful tips and ideas. And on one occasion an essay about when to get the best shots. Basically, when half of us are busy cooking for the other half or when the other half are eating!
Don't eat at meal times the nice man said, you'll miss the best shots. (didn't actually say, don't cook at cooking times but I guess that's because he's a kept man!)

Now I'm wondering, how did I manage to take 614 pictures today? Today was a 'noImustn'tgooutwiththecameraI'vegototherstufftodo' sort of day. Except for the sunset of course.
Ok, I've got the camera set to take 3 different exposures so I can play with my photomatix programme but even so, 200 odd !?
Now I have to go and mash potatoes. Well, peel and cook them and all that too. I don't seem to have done anything useful since I came home and the sun went on and on setting. And on. And on....
Anyway, good morning
and goodnight
I hope you got to see tonight's sunset. They can't go on for ever like this :)

6 comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ohmygosh....

k....I think the answer is to eat earlier. (not good to eat too late, anyway...healthier to eat early...LOL....and better for uswholovethephotos, too!)

Don't make me pick which one I like best. They're all equally gorgeous and brilliant.
Unfortunately we've been overcast too much to get a decent sunrise/sunset the past few days (snow....LOL..you know the drill!) But clear this morning! And I'm hoping for clear skies on Wednesday for that lunar eclipse.

(which I'm sure you'll take magnificent photos of....)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Eclipse?????
Tonight?
Well I hope you have the clear skies Mel, after enduring the endless snow for so long, you deserve a break :)
I'm going to look up eclipses now :)

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ah! Thursday at 3am!
Hmm, I shouldn't have too much trouble staying up for that now should I :)
So what time will it be in your part of the world Mel? Times across the world is a complete mystery to me!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Sorrow said...

Every time I come here and see your photo's i think...ggaaaa I'de love to paint that...sigh.
your photo's are like a dream...
How to you put such mood into them? How do you get them to feel so much like a story and so little like a snapshot???
sigh
wow
sigh
wow
sigh
wow
sigh

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Sorrow you are a tonic :)
And thank you :)

I used to see things as I drove the kids to school and into town and think Oh I wish I had time to paint that. Eventually I realised if I had a camera, I could at least catch the moment.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

beautiful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home