Monday, February 13, 2006

Late to the feast.

I'm naturally late for everything.
At approximately five, I distinctly remember spending a whole afternoon trying to invent a simple way to write music so I could write down the tunes in my head without learning to read music first. Having only just learnt to read books, another language looked like taking another five years…I wanted to write that tune NOW.
At eight, I desperately wanted to write pony stories and poetry but the sheer effort of producing miles of blotted, crossed out, rewritten and virtually illegible pages eventually defeated me. (after some ten stories had been set down lovingly in exercise books. They were awful, but....)
At ten, I learnt piano for a year. Too many hands, eyes and notes required...melody person, me.
Between five and thirty five I did Art...at college, on the walls of various flats, all over the caravan I lived in (when two households merged and I got the short but peaceful straw) and after the children had gone to bed or school.

An odd, solitary child. Not popular with peers, not easy to bring up and deeply frustrated. Also, if I believe my parents, lazy, thoughtless and untruthful. Stupendously untidy!

I took up the fiddle at age 35 and still wonder if I'd done it as a child, would I have loved it as I do now.
I got a computer at about age 40 (hand me down from Adam) because I still wanted to write music (yes I know Mozart did it by hand but I didn't have enough skill in theory or the ability to hear it in my head and write it straight onto the page).
I gradually discovered other uses for the computer (pictures, email, word, stuff like that) and eventually got my very own, all new and fast and shiny. Much faster than me!
I did have a camera when I was 17 or so, an ancient Brownie my Dad gave me. One of those ones that concertinas out and has lovely, tiny levers and buttons to press. A beautiful piece of machinery.
Then I didn't have one for years and had to drag the family one out of Barney's protesting hands to take my "arty farty" pictures before finally getting my Fuji which is very clever (but I do want one which is even more clever) and a bit easier to use than the Brownie!

As has been pointed out to me, all this technology is no substitute for technique, (of which I have very little in any subject) but I know it helps! It's far too late to wish I'd been born in this computer age and maybe I would have been just as frustrated. But I do wonder, if that odd, dreamy child had been able to use the tools I have now, what would she have done with them.


Should anyone be interested in this, my earliest and most lasting artistic inspiration came from my first Rupert Bear Annual, given to me when I was about three. Oh, the purple and orange skies over Nutwood, the glorious yellow and turquoise backgrounds to the paper spill adventure and the wonderful self possession of Rupert's little japanese girlfriend. (whos name I forget).

7 comments:

At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mig, if a song, or some lyrics come into your head, you should record it on a tape recorder. That way you can have it... you can always hand a recorded tape over to someone who knows how to write music. :)

If a song comes to my head and I don't at least write the lyrics down right then, it may never come back to me.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Dav, I never could get lyrics togther with tunes! I write music for string quartet on the computer and can just about string together a few bars on manuscript...just enough to get the tune home if I'm out shopping :)
The only problem is if I think of a tune when I'm driving!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

Writting music, WoW! I am so unmusical. I loved drawing as a child & writting stories. I had this newspaper that i wrote up once in a while. That was fun. My grandson ,6, does the same stuff on the computer. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the long run. The diff. I mean.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I enjoyed learning this about you Mig. You take beautiful photos.

Isn't it amazing the damage a parent can do? I still remember my Dad calling me lazy, clutzy, and stupid, even though I've done lots of 'work' to take the pain out of it and it doesn't hurt me anymore but the memories are there.

You just have to take the position that they did the best they could with what they knew and let it go.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yesterday, I heard the US Premire of Thomas Aedes, Violin Concerto. It is a beautiful piece, and was played with such perfection.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Hmm, what damages have you done me...? I suppose from my father I have a slight paranoia about how I hold my fork (it's a long and really quite boring story) and a strong feeling that I must eat every scrap of food on my plate. See, he's got that northern thing even though I'm a southern fairy.
WOuld have been nice to have known you as an "odd, dreamy child" although I know for many reasons this coiuld never be possible.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Lt, it's absolutely wonderful seeing how the same but differently the children handle things and develop.
And also wonderful to start again on your own account :)
Thanks Kyah and Sherbert. I feel all warmed :)
Fran darling, I think you manage your damage very well.
Barbara, I shall have to try and get hold of a recording...Aedes, such a beautiful name!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home