Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Vertigo

For the last few days I have been feeling rather odd. Dizzy in fact. When I woke up the other morning to see the ceiling scrolling gently from left to right across itself I thought something like "Oh bother I'll have to take this to a doctor".
Then, naturally I began to list the possible causes of such a symptom, starting with a hangover (unlikely on that particular day) proceeding briskly past high blood pressure, heart failure, emphysema, diabetes, cancer (of the brain, lungs or somewhere along the spine) to BSE pausing thoughtfully at ear infection and wandering guiltily back to high blood pressure.
Then I considered the likely course of the conversation at the doctor's..." how much alcohol do you drink? do you smoke? when did you last have a cholesterol check? Do you eat a lot of sweets, fatty foods, carbohydrates? Do you eat five helpings of fruit and veg every day? any day? do you drink several litres of water every day?....Lots? yes? never? yes? no? no? no?...Oh go home and die quickly before you add more straws to the back of the National Health Camel."

Then this morning came, gently scrolling across the ceiling and I thought, well you've earned your telling off...go and get it and just pray they decide to operate anyway.

Well she didn't. We don't actually like our doctor much but the last two visits have been pleasantly acceptable. She said I probably have Labyrinthitis (I think I'm malapropising there...I'm not sure it's really the labyrinth, the relevant bit of ear, but it sounds like that and it looks a bit like it too so it'll do. It's the twisty bit full of fluid that tickles your ear hairs and tells them to tell your head when you're falling over). she checked my blood pressure and said it was fine. She said I could bring in a sample if I wanted to check that I haven't got diabetes. She said I could have some medication but it would make me sleepy. We discussed things that make people feel dizzy and I left feeling probably about as dizzy but very smug about my blood pressure...and therefore much more cheerful.
So I probably will go to Market tomorrow, and have decided to take the risk of packing everything into one big bag, oh no, two big bags, and using the park and ride. Which costs £2.60 instead of £14.70. Unless it's raining in which case I shall turn over and go back to sleep. Or turn round and drive home. Or even pack up and catch the bus back and go home.

Labels: , , , ,

4 comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*chuckling*

Oh how my mind can work like that some moments.
(k...my mind works like that most of the time.)

I've just trained myself to act rational.
LOL Even THAT'S up for debate--so I think I'll just shush and be glad it was something simple for you.

Yeah!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh let's act rational Mel :) Definitely!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh, that's not nice - the labyrinth thing. . .

hope you're feeling better soon - actually, this was a while ago,so maybe you are

I hope you are

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I am thankyou I...you know, you take a thing to the doctor and immediately it vanishes leaving you wondering if you invented the whole thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home