Friday, January 12, 2007

backlogs, cheese, recycling and other flammable stuff

When youngest was always broke, hungry and sad, I used to buy her an enormous tin of Roquefort for christmas and somehow it became a tradition. This year's tin got forgotten on the day and only got handed over a bit after its sell by date. Youngest took most of it but left us a good sized chunk, now well past its use by date. It's delicious, meltingly salty and stinks to high heaven! Mmmm.
In terms of other backlogs, there's phone calls, lists of jobs to do and playing with new toys :)
So yesterday I tackled the heap of 'filing'...a mound of ancient notes, bills, internet receipts and confirmations and some odd bits of paper with baffling information (is it information even, I wonder?).
This unusual paper related activity produced a satisfyingly big pile to go in the recycling box. This is overflowing because the recycling people didn't come last fortnight. We now have four weeks worth of recycled bottles and paper by the front gate. That's a lot of bottles. (Not that we're heavy drinkers or anything honest. It's all them other drinkers that have done it)
As well as recycling paper, I came across several rolls of old till receipts (very, very old, some of them) . Which I have been hiding away in a half-hearted attempt to stop would-be identity theives stealing me and spending all my money (not much left after all that new lap top and sewing machine stuff). Whenever we light the fire I forget to burn them till the fire's gone out and I haven't been able to think of a better way to dispose of them. So the other night, surrounded by recycling I bethought me of the compost bin.
I thought, if I rip off the betraying information bits and put them in with the compost, not only will they be Doing Good and returning to the Eco thingie but also, I defy those evil identity thieves a) to guess that my identity is hidden in a large rambling heap of decaying matter at the bottom of the garden and b) to feel inclined to burrow into said smelly heap in search of me.
There you are thieves...I defy you. (There may be the odd pile of dog pooh too :)
Now all I have to do is the ripping of hundreds of bits of paper or remember to burn the majority before starting on the new regime.

Aah. Barney tells me he thinks that, during the pre-christmas shopping frenzy, he may have bought a shredder for us. He can't quite remember if he bought one or only thought about it. He'll need to check the place where he hides presents. So I've wasted whole minutes of time and brain cell on this identity crisis.

Never mind. the filing is done and there is a neat little pile of Stuff That Has No Proper Place and Things I Ought To Have Done Before Christmas. So what's new.

A bit of sunshine for a good sunset is new! I was watching this silver lined cloud all the way into town yesterday and finally got my chance at the traffic lights. Just time to grab camera, snatch shot and dump camera before getting hooted at for holding up the traffic when the lights changed :)

Sunshine on one hand and rain coming up on the other. Howling gale in the middle:)
Today, Fran is here, blogging (or something) on my laptop while I do it at my desk. Sadly, neither of us is in bed but it's quite cool nonetheless...though it's a bit disconcerting hearing odd random comments about her blog and flickr and friends while I'm trying to do mine....she's a talk-out-loud blogger I've discovered. I told her to stop it and now I'm missing it...perhaps she's telling you all what a beastly mum I am at this very moment :)
Or perhaps not...all very peaceful and harmonious here:)

6 comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mig, I really like that last picture! It's beautiful!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*chuckling*

Was a time mine would tell you what a beastly mom I am--she's come around to a new way of thinking. And even though she talks her way through her fingers working on the 'puter, I'm keepin' her. LOL It's taken me this long to convince her I'm not ALL bad, forgoodnesssakes!!

Oh to chase that silver line cloud--all gray and no sun leaves me envious!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

>she's a talk-out-loud blogger I've discovered> Hmm..interesting, wonder how many people do that?

Does she do that at work (talk when typing, not blog)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Kata said...

Heehee! That last part is derned funny my pretty! I don't blog out loud, but I'm always sitting here laughing which bugs the crap out of the mister, as I never clue him in on the joke. I'm sinister like that...xx

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I love the silver lining cloud, and that last photo is peachy!!

glad you blogged today and shared those, as well as sorting out the recycling

sometimes I think blogging is a little like recycling for the mind. . . which makes the comments a little like the recycling people who come to collect the thoughts. . . (in which case the real recycling people would be leaving their bottles by your door! so maybe it's not quite like that)

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you Dav :)

Oh I'm certainly keeping mine Mel...she's a treasure :) And besides, it can be quite funny hearing her talking about the same people I'm reading about. I think she forgave me :)

I don't think she can do it at work Tabby otherwise they'd have thrown her out wouldn't they? It's a while since I worked now but I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to cope with anyone other than me talking to the computer out loud. (and I didn't share an ofice so it probaly didn't drive anyone mad. though I'm sure they all thought I was :)

We were both laughing quite a lot Mangey, enough to make both men come in, look worriedly at us and go away again quickly :)

Oh recycling for the mind I, yes!
my mind needs a lot of that. It's instant recycling benefits maybe. Instead of having to go out and buy the recycled glasses and cards you get them delivered :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home