Thursday, December 15, 2005

Bad smell good news day

Yesterdday I got up to find the dog had been sick (this doesn't actually smell so bad, it's just the idea).
Later I went into a charity shop and got trapped while an ancient, decrepit and unbelievably smelly man hobbled very very slowly out. This smell was really over the top....we're not just talking unwashed. Festering horrors. As soon as he was out, I fled, gulping, into the fresh air only to find I had to overtake him in the street. Honestly the miasma spread fifteeen feet or more. I had time to notice that he seemed to be wearing bandages instead of socks and slippers instead of shoes before rushing away to plunge into the perfume section of Camps in the hope of drowning the nostrils.
Smell clung to nostrils as I passed pasty shop, pork butchers (cooking sausage rolls) and Starbucks.
I may not be able to go near any of them for a long time.
Later still we went out for dinner (the office party as we jokingly all it, three thatchers and their wives) and I had to be resolute in not remembering the afternoon.
Later still I woke up in the middle of the night with the sudden thought that the smell might not have been shit at all but gangrene from whatever was hidden under the bandages. (there had been a whiff of nasty antiseptic involved). Nose revolted all over again and guilt added itself to horrific images of poor hobbling gangrenous old man.
Ooof. I shouldn't have mentioned it...drank enough last night that stomach is now complaining I'm thinking too loudly.

But there is good news, possibly the best. We heard last night that Barney's Dad has had his 3 month check and his cancer has almost vanished...he had such a heavy dose of radiation therapy that he won't be able to have any more so we were afraid it would just start creeping back and there wouldn't be anything they could do. Didn't he do well:)

4 comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Hooray! A little annoying that I have to hear family news over the internet, rather than in person...
See you v soon (and speak to you sooner)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well if you'd been posting to your blog at all or visiting mine I would have known you wee still around!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I only stopped by to say hello and you ran away from me. I'd made a special effort to put my best clobber and cologne on too! Happy holidays to you and all your family.
No, don't ask. I may be around a bit more now.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Just sulking because you were away so long!
and I should hope so too *around a bit more* I'm missing your pics.
I only saw this yesterday, hence delay in posting reply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home