Friday, October 21, 2005

I am not a health freak

In fact a while ago on a long journey home from a funeral, our daughters whiled away an hour with a how healthily do you eat sort of quiz. Barney came out somewhere below good but not a total rotten egg. I on the other hand could tell quite early on that I'd be dead by the end of the quiz. Bottom of the class for healthy eating. they were all concerned and disapproving but hey! here I am, 54 and still enjoying life. Sure, my feet hurt, my knees ache and I sometimes forget what I'm doing...Oh and my teeth cause me untold anxiety and stress (just before I go to the dentist anyway). And I do have heartburn regularly (after trying to work out what foods caused it I realised it's eating that causes it). and though probably not 'clinically obese' I am quite fat! And totally unfit. And as you may have noticed last post, a smoker. So yes I do run out of breath quite a lot.
And I absolutely love chloresterol and starch laden food and find veg and fruit a bit like hard work....don't dislike them at all but usually don't make the effort. On the other hand I loathe all MacDonald type products. Particularly the bready stuff they like to wrap it in and stack it on. and most particularly the special chemical salt 'no flavour' taste of it. And also particularly the instant collapse but sticky texture of it.
On yet a third hand I still occasionally get a craving for a tin of Heinz Spaghetti bolognese.
On some other hand, I love wine and tea and coffee. Water...well it's lovely to pour on your head and swim in and surprisingly nice to drink once in a while. Like, not 2 litres (or whatever it is you ought to drink) a day.

My Dad was a GP and I once asked him with female teenage fervour what I could do to lose weight...like "Daddy what's the best diet for losing weight?" He looked momentarily flummoxed and then said "eat less".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home