Thursday, September 29, 2005

The good side

A while ago it was the roadworks breeding season, little road works popping up all over the place, vanishing after a day or two or in some cases growing into full scale three way monsters with big yellow growling machines and traffic lights. Creating trafic jams in unnacustomed places and causing traffic to veer down routes it wouldn't normally travel. Cursed be they.
On the other hand, I've found myself stopped outside a tiny pretty cottage I never noticed before and seen bits of garden and woodland that usually blur past. I've watched birds doing bird things I shouldn't be watching while driving and I've had time to clean my glasses and take gaviscon for my heartburn before panting into work. then the road works go away and suddenly theere's a nice smooth quiet road with no bumps.
Not a bad trade.
And then take traffic. It happens I like driving...it gives me a certain fairly quiet enjoyment...you know, smooth gear changes and turns and an occasional bit of oomph, the countryside or the town gliding by. Changing views and skies. and sometimes a bit of well, co-operation, mutual understanding/agreement with other motorists. Stopped at a junction to turn left today, next to a man turning right and as we checked out each other's side of the road we just smiled and nodded. nothing dramatic. another time, some eight or ten people let each other into a stream of traffic in turn, first one way and then the other. Meshing nicely, no fuss and less stress.
Point is I supose, those are people in those other cars. They may be axe wielding nuts just bursting to rage at you or they might just be wondering if they left the cat out or whether their eldest will come home this weekend. They might be calculating their tax bill or planning their next flower bed. they might, God forbid forget to let you out at the roundabout but they might just have let three other people in at the last one. and after all, you too have eyes.
You can in fact avoid hitting other cars with yours and if they forget to check you out you can check them out. You have the power to reduce your stress and theirs by not getting into a paddy over small mistakes. Also the stress of your spouse and family and friends in the car with you. And it means you can be in charge of the situation (what situation was that? Oh yes, somebody 'cut you up'. What an appalling expression) which means you are not a cog in the machinery but a co-operating, perhaps even pleasant, adult person.
Yes, I did cut someone up yesterday. Sorry.
The language says something about us drivers. "He cut me up", we say indignantly. What? are we bleeding? Is even our car broken? No. not at all. just momentarily inconvenienced by having to brake a bit extra. "Shouldn't be on the road if they can't drive properly". Why? Can't you handle the, well I was going to say the unexpected but it isn't really unexpected is it? People make these little slips all the time and that's a mainstay of comedy aimed at drivers.
I have to say it's occasionally fun to let rip at some other driver from behind the safety of my own windscreen. Especially if I'm in a filthy mood anyway. Then I feel better and remember they may have had a filthy mood of their own. Or I feel worse because nobody noticed I was totally and inarguably IN THE RIGHT. wasn't I.
Ok, that's it for tonight. for the moment anyway. I have to go and play a fiddle.

6 comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
free car removal brisbane
car removal rockhampton

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
car removal Melbourne
cash for scrap cars brisbane

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
car removal brisbane
cash for cars beenleigh

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
bus wreckers sydney
accidental car removal sydney

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
cash for cars gold coast
cash for cars caboolture

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars caboolture
scrap metal ipswich

 

Post a Comment

<< Home